Jamun Tree, Syzygium cumini plants
|Plant Height||18 inch (46 cm)|
|Plant Spread||6 inch (15 cm)|
|Common Name||Java plum, Jamun, Malabar plum,|
|Maximum Reachable Height||30 m|
|Bloom Time||March to April|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow|
Planting And Care
- Apply a high-potassium liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks from early spring until 6 weeks after flowering.
- Keep moist in winter.
Jamun Tree Care
- Keep the plant in natural indirect bright Light.
- Poke your finger/plain small stick into the soil to check the moisture.
- Water when top soil (1-2inches) feels dry to touch.
- Do not re-pot for min. 2 weeks after receiving it.
|Temperature||13 to 27 degrees C|
Jamun Tree Special Feature
Food (Herb & Spice: In Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and India, the leaves are used fresh as a culinary herb which has a similar, but stronger flavor than Coriander (Coriandrum sativum).The leaves are used to season meat and other foods in Caribbean, Latin American and Asian cuisines.
Jamun Tree Uses
- The fruit and seeds used to cure diabetes, diarrhea, and ringworm
- The bark is astringent, sweet sour, diuretic, digestive and anthelmintic
- Note- Please consults your health advisor before application or consuming of plants or plant parts
Frequently Asked Questions
Is jamun fruit good for diabetics?
Yes, according to the published research Jamun fruit good for diabetics. Note- please consult your health advisor before application or consuming of plants or plant parts.
What is jamun fruit called in english?
In English, Jamun fruit is known as Syzygium cumini.
How to plant jamun seeds?
You can plant Jamun seeds in pot as well as in-ground. To plant Jamun seeds consider the following points 1. Use a pot having 7-inch upper diameter and drainage holes. 2. Fill the pot with well-drained soil. To sow seeds make a hole about 1 inch in soil, place seeds in it, cover with soil and apply water. 3. Maintain the moisture in soil by applying water if soil in pot (1-2 inches) feels dry to touch. 4. Keep the pot at a location receiving indirect bright light. Seeds will germinate within a week. Note – For further details check the product description on nurserylive.com
How to grow jamun tree?
Jamun tree is grown by seeds and limb cuttings. Consider the following points to grow Jamun tree.Â 1. Sunlight- More thanÂ 6 hours of natural direct bright sunlight is required.Â 2. Soil- Soil or potting mixture should be well-drained, fertile and nutrient-rich. 3. Water-Water the plant when 1-2 inch surface soil layer feels dry to touch.Â 4. Fertilizer – Apply any organic fertilizer during the main growing summer season(April-July). Note – For further details check the product description on nurserylive.comÂ
How to plant jamun tree?
1. To grow Jamun tree in pot, choose a pot having of 7-inch upper diameter and drainage holes. 2. Fill the 1/3 pot with well-drained soil rich in organic content and place the plant in the center of the pot. 3. Fill the remaining pot with same soil. 4. Keep the plant in indirect bright light location for 2-3 days and then gradually move to a location that receives more than 6 hours of direct sunlight. 5. Once the plant is overgrown in current pot, plant it in field. If you are planting purchased plant directly in ground follow below procedure. 1. Keep the plant in indirect bright light for 3-4 days and gradually move to a location receiving direct sunlight for more than 6 hours a day. 2. Dig a pit twice the size of the bag/pot the current plant is in. 3. Fill the 1/3 of pit with soil rich in organic content, place the plant in center and fill the pit with same soil. 4. Apply water General caring tips Plant should get more than 6 hours of sunlight a day. Water the plant when surface soil (1-2 inch) feels dry to touch. Apply any organic fertilizer during the main growing summer season(April-July).
Does jamun tree have flowers?
Yes, Jamun tree have flowers.
What is jamun fruit?
Jamun fruit is oblong, ovoid. Unripe fruit looks green. As it matures, its color changes to pink, then to shining crimson red and finally to black color.
Is jamun fruit good for health?
Yes, Jamun or Black plum is an important summer fruit, associated with many health and medicinal benefits. Note- please consult your health advisor before application or consuming of plants or plant parts.
About Jamun Tree
The Jamun is evergreen, fruit plant in Myrataceae family with oblong opposite leaves that are smooth, glossy and having a terpentine smell. Jamun has fragrant white flowers in branched clusters at stem tips and purplish-black oval edible berries.
|Dimensions||42 × 12 × 12 cm|