GREEN APPLE BER
|Plant Height||36 inch (91 cm)|
|Plant Spread||6 inch (15 cm)|
|Common Name||Indian jujube, Indian plum, Chinese date, ber, Chinee/Chinkee apple, jujube|
|Maximum Reachable Height||2-3 meter|
|Bloom Time||February and April|
Planting And Care
- If left to itself ber trees would attain bushy, large unmanageable form but the production per unit area is quite low.
- In order to keep the plant in manageable shape and size, trees are trained properly during first 2-3 years to build a strong framework.
- By providing support with a bamboo stick to the new growth of sprout from either in situ or transplanted seedling, vertical growth is encouraged Once the growth is about 1-1.5 meter, the terminal growth Is pinched, allowing lower buds on the main stem to sprout and form main branches.
- After sufficient growth, these primary branches be pinched to develop secondary branches. Thus plants are trained by pruning and kept in manageable shape, size with well-developed framework.
- Pruning is an essential operation in ber production as fruits are borne in the axil of leaves on the young shoots of the current season. Pruning is, therefore, done every year to induce a maximum number of new healthy shoots which bear good quality fruits.
- The best time for pruning was observed to be 15th April to 15th May under a prevailing climatic condition of Maharashtra.
Ber Fruit Care
Z. mauritiana is now found throughout the arid and semi-arid tracts of much of Asia and Africa, also the Americas and Australasia. The trees grow well in abandoned agricultural fields and on marginal lands, requires little rainfall.
Sunlight Full Sun to Partial Shade Watering medium Soil Deep sandy to loamy well-drained soils are considered best Temperature Ideal 10 to 23 degrees C. Can tolerate -5 degrees C to 49 degrees C Fertilizer Use any organic fertilizer. Harvest Season Seedlings take two to three years to start fruit production.
Ber Fruit Special Feature
Special Horticultural practices: Attempts to increase fruit set, fruit size and early/delayed maturity through application of growth regulators proved to effective. The growth regulators like GA, NAA, CCC and Ethephon were used. GA (10 ppm) and NAA (10 ppm) during fruit development and Ethephon one month before harvesting were sprayed. Application of NAA increased the yield of fruits with cost benefit ratio of 1:3:30.
Ber Fruit Uses
- Used in pharmaceutical preparations
- Root, leaf, Fruit
Frequently Asked Questions
How to plant jujube tree on the ground?
To plant jujube tree seed consider the following points. 1.Pit- The pit of 1x1x1 m size are dug well in advance of planting. 2. The pits are filled at least one month before planting with soil in which 40-50 kg well rotten FYM and 1 kg single super phosphate are mixed.3.Place the 1 year old seedling at center of pit and fill the remaining pit with soil. 4. Water- Water the plant when 1-2 inch surface layer soil feels dry to touch. Do not over water the plant. 5. Fertilizer – Apply any organic fertilizer during the main growing season(June-July).Note – For further details check the product description on nurserylive.com
How to grow jujube plant from seed?
To grow Jujube plant seed consider the following points 1. Remove the jujube stones from fruit and soak them for 24 hours in warm water. 2. To sow seeds make a hole about 1/2 inch, place seeds in it, and cover with soil. 3. Water- Water the plant when 1-2 inch surface layer soil feels dry to touch. Do not over water the plant 4. Sunlight – Plant grow outdoor require more than 6 hours of direct bright sunlight. 5. Germination- seeds will start germinate within 30 days. 6. Fertilizer – Apply any organic fertilizer during the main growing season(June-July) feed the plant. Note – For further details check the product description on nurserylive.com
How deep to plant jujube seeds?
Jujube seeds are sown 1/2 inch deep in soil.
What is jujube tree?
Jujube is arid fruit tree can grow up 8-10 m and has glossy green, deciduous leaves and light gray bark. Known for delicious oval shaped, single-stoned fruit.
How to germinate jujube seeds?
Soak the hard coated Jujube seeds in warm water for 24 hours for early germination.
When to plant jujube seeds?
Jujube seeds are planted in March – April month.
About Ber Fruit
Ziziphus mauritiana (Ziziphus jujuba Mill.), also known as Indian plum, is a tropical fruit tree species belonging to the family Rhamnaceae. A small spreading tree, with drooping branches; height, 5 to 8 meters; trunk girth, 85 cm; bark, rough, gray or dull black, irregularly cracked.
Leaves, ovate, broad, dark green and shining from above. The flowers are yellowish and born in clusters along the leaf axils and this is shortly follow