Annatto, Bixa orellana, Shendri, Sindur (Orange Color) – Plants
|Plant Height||24 inch (61 cm)|
|Plant Spread||6 inch (15 cm)|
|Common Name||Lipstick tree, Annatto, Arnatto, Latkan, Shendri|
|Maximum Reachable Height||7 to 10 meter|
|Flower Colour||White to pink|
|Bloom Time||October to December|
Planting And Care
Refer our Garden Guide for detailed procedures and meanings of words related to gardening.
- At least 3-6 hours of preferably morning sunlight a day is ideal for plant to grow well and natural direct bright light for the rest of the day.
- The soil should be well drained and fertile, rich in organic content for growing plant.
- Poke your finger/plain small stick into the soil to check the moisture.
- Apply 3 cup (Approx. 150 ml) water when top soil (1-2 inches) in pot feels dry to touch.
- As rule of thumb, Water the plant thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering in winter and rainy season.
- Do not over-water the plant.
- Apply water preferably in morning or evening.
Application of Fertilizer
- Loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots of the plant so it can uptake the nutrients and moisture easily.
- During the main growing season feed the plant with organic fertilizer once a month (June-July).
- Apply water immediately after application of fertilizer.
The annatto tree belongs to the genus Bixa in the family Bixaceae. Shrub plant and leaves are slender, terete, slightly enlarged at the apex, 1.8- 14 cm long, more or less densely covered with minute scales Annatto is a wonder tree commonly called as lipstick tree.
White or pink flowers occur in vertical upright clusters, which prominently appear above the foliage. When fully mature, the pod dries, hardens, and splits open, exposing the
|Dimensions||42 × 12 × 12 cm|